A part-paywall will go up on a number of news sites in Slovenia on Monday (16 January), following a group paywall model first introduced in Slovakia by Piano Media.
In this week’s podcast Journalism.co.uk technology correspondent Sarah Marshall speaks to Tomas Bella, the CEO of Piano Media; Frédéric Filloux, managing director for digital operations at French newspaper business Les Echo, who, until recently, was also managing director of ePresse, a consortium of French publishers; and François Nel, founding director of the journalism leaders programme at the University of Central Lancashire and co-founder of the Digital Editors’ Network, an academic who has carried out extensive research on how publishers can make money online.
Filloux talks about the digital kiosk set up by ePresse and outlines his theory shared on his Monday Note newsletter that the Financial Times and New York Times are encouraging readers to take out a digital subscription by raising the price of their print editions.
Journalism.co.uk’s next news:rewired event will feature a panel debate on paid-content models. See the agenda, list of speakers and list of delegates. Tickets are £130+VAT and can been booked using the ticket page. There are just a handful of tickets left so book now to avoid disappointment.
You can hear all our podcasts by signing up to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes podcast feed.
- MondayNote: Sarkozy’s news prescription – ‘a band-aid to an ailing industry’
- #news2011: Paywalls – ‘the solution is going to be unique and individual’
- #newsrw: Who’s attending our digital journalism event?
- #Podcast – Paywall pointers: Digital subscription lessons for news outlets
- Making data work for you: one week till media140′s dataconomy event