After taking a look at the top 10 Facebook news stories of 2011 yesterday, today we are publishing a list of the year’s top Twitter stories.
This list is based on data from SEO and social data tool Searchmetrics.
A liveblog makes it in at number two, plus there are photo stories and a news game (see number four).
1. Independent: Why the Fukushima disaster is worse than Chernobyl = 83,529
2. BBC: LIVE: Osama Bin Laden dead = 77,853
3. Mail Online: The big pictures: The moment Japan’s cataclysmic tsunami engulfed a nation = 74,835
4. BBC: The world at seven billion = 73,783
5. BBC: Apple holding more cash than USA = 70,202
6. Guardian: Top 100 women = 48,250
7. BBC: Malawi row over whether new law bans farting = 38,861
9. BBC: Spelling mistakes ‘cost millions’ in lost online sales = 28,253
10. BBC: Sacrebleu! = 27,377
Data was gathered using Searchmetrics and downloaded for analysis on 6 December. The news outlets included were: BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, Mail Online, the Sun, the Mirror. You can see the downloaded Twitter data here.