Poynter has a helpful lesson in Excel and other spreadsheet software for journalists dealing with data.
The post explains how to split names in a single column to two columns, for example.
Poynter’s post on how journalists can use Excel to organise data for stories is at this link.
There will be a workshop on data journalism – led by Simon Rogers, editor of the Guardian’s Datastore and Datablog – at Journalism.co.uk’s news:rewired – media in motion conference for journalists. The news:rewired agenda is at this link.
Tipster: Sarah Marshall
If you have a tip you would like to submit to us at Journalism.co.uk email us using this link– we will pay a fiver for the best ones published.
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – data opportunities for journalists
- OUseful: Gripes with Guardian’s DataStore #datajourn
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – recording a better interview
- Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – making the most of data
- Tool of the week for journalists: Datawrapper, for quick data visualisations