Poynter has put together this collection of 10 types of tools which are likely to be of use to those just starting out in the field of data journalism, for each part of the process of telling stories in this way. The tools on Poynter’s list vary from the bog-standard spreadsheet to more advanced tools such as Google Refine for cleaning data or visualisation platforms such as Google Fusion Tables or Tableau Public. The list also looks at scripting language and mapping software.
Tipster: Rachel McAthy
If you have a tip you would like to submit to us at Journalism.co.uk email us using this link – we will pay a fiver for the best ones published.
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – try this tutorial on using Google Fusion Tables
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – Google Fusion Tables
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – using Geocommons to map data
- Tool of the week for journalists – Batchgeo, for mapping data
- Tool of the week for journalists: Tableau Public, for data visualisations