The BBC reported today that journalists had held a protest to demonstrate against the killing of Jyotirmoy Dey, an investigative journalist who worked for Mid Day newspaper in Mumbai.
According to reports, Dey was killed after being shot by four men on motorcycles on Saturday, as he returned to his home. Sachin Kalbag, executive editor of the Mid Day newspaper, was quoted as saying Dey brought depth to its investigative reporting and that he worked “with honesty and integrity”.
India appeared on the Committee to Protect Journalists’ Impunity Index earlier this month, ranking at number 13, based on the number of unsolved journalist murders per 1 million inhabitants.
- CPJ and Russian media outlets challenge ‘climate of impunity’ after latest attack
- BBC and CPJ: Mexican journalist, wife and son shot dead
- Index on Censorship: Russian journalist defeats libel claim
- #jpod in depth: A look at threats to press freedom around the world
- Knight Foundation senior advisor receives Markoff award for investigative reporting fund