Press freedom organisation Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reports that a journalist, Valério Nascimento, was shot and killed in Brazil on Tuesday. The day of the shooting was also the day the world shone a light on the dangers and issues facing journalists across the world, for World Press Freedom day.
“Nascimento’s murder, which took place on World Press Freedom Day, is a reminder that Brazil is still a dangerous country for journalists despite recent legislative progress and efforts to combat impunity,” Reporters Without Borders said. “He is the second journalist to have been gunned down this year while a third journalist, a blogger, only just survived a murder attempt.”
A motive of the shooting is not yet known, RSF added, urging investigators of the case to “carefully examine the possibility that he was killed in connection with his work as a journalist”.
- The @press_freedom timeline – tracking threats to journalism around the globe
- Three of four kidnapped journalists freed in Mexico
- Journalists killed worldwide – an online list from WAN
- I.P.I: Mexican authorities need to act immediately to ‘stem systematic killing of reporters’
- RSF: Where are the journalists…? Don’t look for them here