The SPD blog previews Newsweek’s redesign as the US weekly merges with the Daily Beast. According to SPD, the new-look magazine is due in newsagents a week today. The post includes and interview with Dirk Barnett, the man behind the redesign, who discusses the new logo, how the team is “bringing strong, dynamic photojournalism back to Newsweek”, plus plans for presenting data.
The Newsweek redesign comes a week after the relaunch of the New York Times Magazine, which took place yesterday.
Infographics, another element killed off over the past few years at Newsweek, will definitely be coming back. While we plan to up the presence, we have no plans to blow them out in a Bloomberg/Wired direction, our content just doesn’t require or sustain it (plus, Bloomberg Businessweek is killing it, who can compete with that?!). Rather, it will be a vital tool to telling elements of stories that photogrpahy or illustration just don’t nail. We have introduced a new page, DataBeast, that will give us the opportunity to do a weekly infogrpahic on various subjects.
- paidContent: BusinessWeek sale to Bloomberg – told in links
- MinOnline: John Byrne to leave BusinessWeek, start new digital media firm
- García Media: Newsweek’s new approach
- Bloomberg View will be ‘consistent with the values of the founder’
- The Week magazine gets a ‘companion site’ to the print edition