Interview with Jon Corner, the University of Salford’s MediaCityUK director, about the uni’s plans to “redefine media studies” from its new base at the Salford centre.
I agree with you about certain prejudices surrounding the notion of ‘Media Studies’ – but really Salford will be focused on new digital content creation and new digital content delivery. Ours is a very technological, industry-focused offer with the relevance the international sector is hungry for.
However, I do think there’s a potential growing mismatch between what’s happening at forward-thinking higher education institutions like Salford and how ‘media’ is delivered in UK secondary schools. It’s something I’m personally passionate about and I think we have an opportunity to begin to redefine and change that delivery by opening up new types of dialogue and shared practice with schools.
- WMF: Could unversities provide facilities for new local news networks?
- Salford Star: Council newspaper costing £27,797 a month – what impact on local news?
- CollegeJourn.com: Professors join in the Twitter conversation
- Birmingham Mail looking at developing community-based sites
- Blogging scholarship: $10,000 to fund your studies in the US