A Boston newspaper is experimenting with mobile technologies by encouraging users to take part in a checkin-based scavenger hunt.
According to a report by Mashable.com, the Boston Globe is using SCVNGR, rather than Foursquare, to keep tabs on players, who will be asked to take photos, scan QR codes and check in at various locations across the city to complete five different challenges.
The Globe is reportedly hoping this use of mobile technologies to interact with users will appeal to old readers as well as drawing in new ones.
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – newspaper lessons in using QR codes to drive traffic
- Sun’s mobile barcodes attract 11,000 users
- Boston University and Boston Globe partner on Your Town hyperlocal sites
- Boston Globe enhances local search with MetaCarta
- Editors Weblog: ‘What will happen to the Boston Globe?’