Nieman Journalism Lab has a review and analysis of media theorist Clay Shirky’s latest book and concept. ‘Is creating and sharing always a more moral choice than consuming,’ asks reviewer Megan Garber.
Cognitive Surplus, in other words – the book, and the concept it’s named for – pivots on paradox: The more abundant our media, the less specific value we’ll place on it, and, therefore, the more generally valuable it will become. We have to be willing to waste our informational resources in order to preserve them. If you love something…set it free.
- A Guardian hotel? Publisher says it is ‘exploring options’
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – how to get started as a multimedia journalist
- Freelancers – how well are you marketing yourself online?
- Innovations in Journalism – MediaGeeks
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – how to set up a recording studio