John Prescott pulls no punches in his reaction to recent set-tos between the Sun, News International executives and the press pack. He writes:
I’ve always hated the Sun and Murdoch. I was never happy with their endorsement of Blair (NEVER Labour, always Blair.)
But last week they blatantly LIED about my campaign. And today I’ll expose it.
Before this came a quote now bordering on infamy – the Sun’s political editor Tom Newton Dunn is reported to have recently told other journalists: “It is my job to see that Cameron fucking well gets into Downing Street.” This was followed by Rebekah Brooks and James Murdoch’s unexpected “visit” to the Independent’s offices – Murdoch decided “to stamp his little feet and go nasty”, writes Prescott.
But a story headlined ‘No Prez-ence’, which suggested no one turned up to hear Prescott speak at a visit to Southampton, appears to be the straw that’s broken the camel’s back. Prescott says he is now going to expand his campaigning for Labour to ensure it’s the Sun and Murdoch’s Son “wot lost it” on 7 May, he says.
- Select committees: Reaction to appearances by police, the Murdochs and Brooks
- Letters in full from News International bosses to select committee
- Standard: Metropolitan police loaned horse to Rebekah Brooks
- #bigotgate: John Prescott attacks bigot gaffe as Murdoch conspiracy
- Phone hacking update: Ex-employees ‘clarify’ Murdoch evidence