Following its decision in January to block the NewsNow news monitoring site, Times Online has blocked fellow news aggregator Meltwater.
Meltwater is the only aggregation service that has not complied with a new system introduced by the Newspaper Licensing Agency (NLA) at the start of 2010, which includes charging sites that crawl newspaper websites and use this information as part of a commercial service to clients.
Meltwater is taking the NLA to a copyright tribunal and on Monday was told its challenge would go ahead with a procedural hearing in June 2010 and a trial in February 2011.
- NLA suspends payment of new link charges for aggregators
- NewsNow re-enters newspaper linking fight with campaign; Meltwater takes NLA to copyright tribunal
- NLA’s High Court action no cause for concern, say Meltwater and PRCA
- New German law may impose fees on aggregated content use
- Out-Law.com: ECJ rules that 11-word clippings can infringe copyright