An innovative partnership has formed in Canada: between free daily paper, Metro and Foursquare, a location-based social network.
Foursquare users share location information with their friends, in a gaming format. In this new partnership, Metro will add location-specific editorial content to the Foursquare service.
Metro uses the example of restaurants to explain how it will work:
People who choose to follow Metro on Foursquare will then receive alerts when they’re close to one of those locations. For example, someone close to a restaurant that Metro has reviewed would receive a “tip” about that restaurant and the have ability to link through to the full Metro review on metronews.ca.
- Canada’s Metro to add Foursquare feature to news sites
- Eastern Daily Press providing content through Foursquare
- ReadWriteWeb: WSJ shares location-based news with Foursquare users
- Editors Weblog: What Foursquare means for newspapers
- Wall Street Journal uses Foursquare list feature for hurricane evacuation centres