Amid all the ominous news surrounding Independent News&Media a more positive story for the company has surfaced:
A £40m print deal will make Northern Ireland one of the biggest producers of daily newspapers in Europe, after INM signed contracts with the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mirror.
INM will now be printing all Mirror titles and the Telegraph titles, as well as the Sun, News of the World, the Daily Express and Sunday Express, the Daily Star and the London Independent.
“The first deal sees all sections of the Daily Telegraph printed in the company’s high-tech plant at Newry for the next 15 years. The second deal brings the Daily Mirror to the Belfast Telegraph print plant for a seven-year term.
“The deals represent two of the longest print agreements signed in the region and have been made possible by an IN&M investment strategy which has seen more than £50m spent on new presses in both centres.”
- Media release: ITN signs new video content deal with Independent
- BBC/Milne Media: More than 100 jobs at risk in Scotsman print move
- MediaGuardian: O’Brien says that financial crisis could cause sale of Independent
- Editorial job losses at Express Newspapers reduced from 70 following union talks
- Newspaper Society: Belfast Telegraph sees traffic surge after online revamp