We’ve just watched a Telegraph TV video: journalist Charles Starmer Smith getting mauled by a lion in Limpopo Province, South Africa – after entering its enclosure.
Perhaps his comment that ‘the lion just obeys what he [Arrie, the handler] does and plays (…) but stops up to a point’ was a little premature. He doesn’t look so relaxed when the animal’s teeth are firmly stuck into his leg.
Nonetheless, he is smiling when he steps out of the enclosure: he can’t wait to get home and ‘show off’ his scars he says. Then he goes off to get some stitches.
- You must not embed the Telegraph’s embeddable video
- #FollowJourn: @FredHatman/blogger
- Journalism Daily: FT.com’s innovations, plinth reporter plans a party and the need for media blackouts
- Cameroon journalist fighting deportation has hearing delayed until March
- Why Jeremy Paxman is the new Charles Wheeler