A piece by Lawrence Pintak and Yosri Fouda in the Columbia Journalism Review argues that ‘well-meaning’ Western journalism rights groups undermine journalism ‘by defending Arab and Iranian online activists who have been jailed or harassed by the authorities’.
The Committee to Protect Journalists responds here.
- Alan Mutter: ‘3 jailed journalists, 2 very different reactions’
- #WEFHamburg: WAN-IFRA calls on Iran to improve press freedom standards
- Iranian journalist suing Nokia over imprisonment
- CPJ: Call for freedom for detained journalists after releases from Libya and Iran
- CPJ: 141 attacks on journalists and news facilities in Egypt since 30 Jan