Last week we included news that a Demotix contributor had been arrested in Iran in a blog post about the cit-j agency’s content from Iran.
“In these difficult days, it’s good to have some positive news to report from Iran.
“We’ve just heard that the Demotix contributor who was arrested last week by the Iranian police will not face further inquiries and has had his camera returned to him by officials. You may that he was told he could be charged as a spy and potentially executed during his arrest, so this news comes as a great relief to him and – I’m sure – everyone involved with Demotix.
“It’s too early to tell if this is an example of a relaxation of press restrictions in Iran or if, as seems more likely, this particular photographer was fortunate.”
- How Demotix’s contributors have covered Iran election protests
- BBC news chief calls for pressure on Iran after threats to journalists’ families
- Video: ITV correspondent John Ray arrested covering Beijing Olympics
- Cit-J agency photographs from Iran make front page of NYTimes… twice
- NUJ highlights unlawful seizure of cameras by police