New America Media: LA Watts Times managing editor on why his paper covers the black community better than the MSM
New America Media (NAM) reports on the LA Watts Times, a newspaper in Los Angeles, focusing on the black community. It is part of NAM’s LA Beez network, a collective of hyperlocal ethnic media.
“We try to look at positive stories that don’t portray blacks in a negative light, as we see in mainstream media,” managing editor Sam Richard says in the piece. “L.A. Watts Times has just been better in reporting deep down in the trenches.”
- CommentIsFree: Angela Foster on ‘why we still need a black press’
- People aren’t black or white, they’re human, says Rutgers professor
- Thoughts from the Ethnic Media Summit: where do we go now?
- News tracker helps uncover cit-j story in earthquake aftermath
- NUJ Journalist Editor Election: Mark Watts’ ‘exposé’ circular to NUJ members