Contributions asked for to fund provincial election coverage and, according to editor David Beers, the money equates to double Tyee’s monthly reporting budget.
Beers discusses the campaign’s success in this video interview:
The Tyee has never asked readers directly for money before – though it does have a foundation to fund some reporting, says Tyee.
The response from readers in this instance has exceeded expectation – interesting to note the ‘serious’ nature of the stories being invested in. Readers are empowering journalists, giving them the resources, and telling them where to deploy them and on what issues; they’re not asking for editorial control, adds Beers.
- Haymarket boss offers £10,000 reward for money-saving ideas
- NYTimes.com: Gates Foundation invests in world health reporting
- Knight Foundation senior advisor receives Markoff award for investigative reporting fund
- Knight News Challenge names community news project as winner
- Google donates $2m to Wikimedia Foundation