The traffic surge from the site’s Olympics coverage also saw more than 1 million users view live video streams on Friday 15.
The BBC’s iPlayer received 700,000 requests for Olympic programmes in the first week of the Games, Mosey said.
The competition – combined with the beginning of the Premiership – has also created record figures for mobile with more than 400,000 users accessing the BBC’s mobile services on Saturday – breaking the previous record of 270,000.
To report the Beijing Olympics online and on mobile the corporation has introduced six live video streams to its BBC Olympics website, an interactive map of the city and its sporting venues, an Olympics blog and expanded its mobile site to carry more video.
The coverage has also benefited from the decision to embed BBC video within pages rather than in a separate player.
- Obama inauguration coverage sets new live streaming record for AP
- CNN wins battle of online inauguration broadcasters, according to Omniture stats
- Olympic figures: BBC reports 12m video views via mobile
- BBC launches interactive Beijing Olympics map
- BBC reports ‘new record’ for mobile during US election coverage