The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has urged freelance journalists to register as ‘data controllers’, because the personal information the handling as part of their work is covered by the Data Protection Act.
Freelancers who do not register with the ICO could face a substantial fine.
- FT.com: Problems with London Mayor Boris Johnson’s crime map plan
- ICO consulting on possible data protection code of practice for the press
- Tips for freelance journalists on National Freelancers’ Day
- Theregister.co.uk: Liberty challenges Observer article on mobile operators
- ICO receives cookies complaints less than two weeks after new EU law introduced