Through the partnership Getty will invite Flickr members to contribute their images to a ‘Flickr branded collection’ on the agency’s website. Pics in this collection will then be made available for licensing by Getty’s clients.
Editors from Getty will select the members and the two companies are currently working on online tools for contacting Flickr users.
Members who chose to submit their images to the collection will hand over exclusive commercial rights of the photos to Getty.
“Flickr members will benefit from Getty Images’ global sales and distribution teams helping to market their images and from Getty Images’ expertise and experience in rights and clearances of visual content. Getty Images’ customers will benefit from the fresh, unique and individualistic perspectives of members within Flickr’s global community,” a release from Yahoo said.
A launch date for the collection is yet to be announced.
- Flickr/Getty deal brings new revenue opportunity for photographers
- CnetNews: Flickr users invited by Getty to join collection
- News agencies suspend Australian cricket coverage over online coverage terms
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Add Creative Commons Search to your browser
- paidContent.org: Daylife working with digital publications