Readers of TimesOnline are obsessed with house prices and road tax, according to Anne Spackman, editor-in-chief of the title.
Readers of the site’s business section also go home early on Fridays, Spackman told delegates at the PPA’s annual conference.
The information gleaned from the site’s search queries is vital to understanding Timesonline readers and shaping content on the site, she said.
However, while search data helped journalists to understand ‘the hook that pulls the reader in’, she stressed that just writing to maximise search rankings is not what journalists are for.
- PPA Magazines 2008: TimesOnline could reward commenters
- Mirror’s video partnership with Roo ‘a bloody mess’ claims former site editor
- Tool of the week for journalists: Data.gov.uk’s map-based search
- Tool of the week for journalists – Searchmetrics Essentials
- UK national newspapers neglecting sitemaps for better search indexing