Each year the foundation awards up to $5 million ‘to individuals who innovate community news using digital technology’, as part of its annual News Challenge competition.
Each member of the ‘lab’ won a grant to help fund a startup idea or blog on a topic related to reshaping community news.
The Idea Lab will then be used as a forum for the bloggers to share their experiences.
According to a press release from the foundation, projects which will feature on the lab include:
- The Playing the News project – a news simulation environment letting citizens play through a complex, evolving news story through interaction with the newsmakers;
- Seven academic ‘think tanks’ at US universities to evolve solutions to digital news problems;
- A scheme with MTV to put a ‘Knight Mobile Youth Journalist’ in every US state, who will create cideo news reports for distribution on mobile phones.
- Knight Digital Media Center: Mobile news ‘is not internet lite’
- Knight Foundation gives $3.14m to local media projects
- Guardian hyperlocal platform n0tice now open to all
- E&P: Washington Post survey suggests hyperlocal moves are afoot
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – steps for building a mobile strategy